Olympus OM-D is on a mission to give photography professionals, enthusiasts and specialists exactly what they want. The new OM-D E-M1 Mark II exceeds all expectations, delivering high-class image quality with unparalleled high-speed performance. Where others have a heavy load to look after, the future OM-D E-M1 Mark II owner will be able to take all equipment in a carry-on to any given destination, thus providing superior mobility.
The key facts of OM-D E-M1 Mark II read like a wish list of the ideal, versatile camera every photographer has dreamt of: It meets the demands of serious enthusiasts in every photography field and serves professionals in wildlife, documentary and travel with its high speed performance, mobility and image quality. It is the fastest in its category with unprecedented sequential shooting performance and a breathtakingly fast new autofocus system.
Its sequential shooting performance is backed up by a brand-new, high-speed, all cross-type, On-chip phase detection autofocus system, new AF controls and even faster shutter response. In silent mode, using continuous AF and AE tracking, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II captures 20.4- Megapixel RAW stills at a class-best 18 fps. Combined with the Live View display and custom controls, this is ideal for shooting fleet-footed wildlife or indoor events in split-seconds. With AF and AE locked, the frame rate further rises to an outstanding performance of 60fps.
The innovative Pro Capture shooting mode in OM-D E-M1 Mark II exploits the virtual elimination of shutter lag by recording up to 14 sequential frames before the shutter release is fully pressed, and ensure the OM-D E-M1 Mark II captures the perfect moment every time where other cameras miss. Powering this still (and 4K/C4K movie) prowess is an all-new TruePic VIII processor, 20-Megapixel Live MOS sensor– combined with Olympus’ trademark in-body 5- axis IS re-developed for the OM-D E-M1 Mark II and the M.ZUIKO PRO lens system that covers the full focal range. ISO speed range has been improved by one f-stop, and the new sensor’s dynamic range puts any rivals in the shade.
Another ace up the new camera’s sleeve is its super-compact, easy- grip design, which makes shooting with a 300mm (600mm 35mm equiv.) 1:4.0 super-telephoto lens possible without tripod support. Alongside dual SD card housing compatible with UHS-II, Direct 4:2:2 HDMI output and significantly improved battery performance, and three tiers of Olympus Pro Service packages, the design is one of numerous practical features that cater professional photographers working in an ever faster-moving field.
Olympus E-M1 Mark II Digital Camera Body Key Features:
- Benchmark AF : The predecessor OM-D flagship has already earned glowing assessments, and now the OM-D E-M1 Mark II elevates OM-D into the very top tier of the pro camera elite with the new ultra-fast Auto Focus system. Key to this is the completely new on-chip, phase-detection AF system, based on a trinity of precision, tracking performance and real-time controls. Precision derives from 121 all cross-type AF points and a high-speed algorithm powered by the new TruePic VIII AF processor. Tracking uses a dedicated moving- subject algorithm to deliver reliable focus for sequential shooting at record- breaking 18fps, while single AF delivers ground-breaking 60fps.
- Game-changing speed : Several high-speed components combine to deliver effortless sequential shooting on the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. With an EVF that offers a response rate of barely 6 ms and a smooth frame rate of 120 fps, it’s easy to keep up with fast-moving subjects. In C-AF mode, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II reaches sequential speeds of 18 fps, which rises to 60 fps in S-AF mode, while the new PRO Capture Mode relieves OM-D owners of the shutter lag that afflicts some professional cameras. With up to 14 frames taken even before the shutter release is fully depressed, it’s virtually impossible not to capture the desired split-second shot, no matter how fast the subject moves.
- Unmatched mobility : Ultra-compact, portable design is another key strength of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. Olympus is the first and only professional camera maker to provide a complete, pro-standard photography system, including lenses, that fits in a carry-on bag suitable for a standard aircraft. Enhancing this go-anywhere flexibility is the rugged, splash proof, dust proof and freeze proof design. Despite its compact dimensions, the indented shape of the new OM-D makes it easier to grip firmly, especially with a telephoto lens attached. An optional battery grip with matching controls as on the main body is great for portrait orientation and safe hold on the camera in all positions.
- Maximum usability : A number of improvements are designed to make work as straightforward as possible for the busy professional photographer. By popular demand, there are two SD slots with one being UHS-II-compatible. There are multiple recording settings available for each card, e.g. saving RAW format to one card and JPG format to the other at the same time. The new battery lasts nearly 40% longer, the charging time of 2 hours is roughly twice as quick as in the predecessor camera, and the battery charge can be displayed on the LCD as a percentage. For more details like overall battery condition, there is a separate status menu available. For high-speed data transfer, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II comes equipped with USB 3.0 Type-C connector.
- Elite image quality : The true measure of any professional-grade camera is image quality, and here the new OM-D E-M1 Mark II lays down another marker – for both stills and cinema-standard video footage – that the competition will struggle to match. Olympus developed the all-new TruePic VIII image processor and 20-Megapixel Live MOS sensor specifically for this camera, and it shows. By any measure, the optical potential is startling. Thanks to enhanced pixel optics and double quad-core processing, the dynamic range has been significantly improved. The 50-Megapixel High Res Shot goes far beyond the potential of full-frame cameras, with blur as good as eliminated by a combination of the TruePic VIII and a new, enhanced version of Olympus’ celebrated on-sensor 5-axis Image Stabilisation. The 5-axis mechanism which has been re-designed exclusively for OM-D E-M1 Mark II now compensates the equivalent of up to 6.5 steps at a focal length of 100mm (with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm 1:4.0 PRO lens).This revolutionary IS system is now the perfect match for OM-D E-M1 Mark II’s video capabilities in radiant, ultra high-definition 4K at 30fps rate and 102 Mbps bit rate. Movie enthusiasts will also welcome the addition of the 24p frame rate and a 237 Mbps bit rate to the OM-D repertoire, which means footage can be shown in the authentic widescreen C4K format.
- Professional service : Olympus goes the extra mile for customer service and offers OM-D E-M1 Mark II owners choice of three service programmes under new concept OLYMPUS PRO Service. Entry level called Standard Plus will be available free of charge together with MyOlympus benefits such as 6 Months Extended Warranty. Having the requirements of professionals in mind, further two service programmes Advanced and Elite will typically offer free repair shipments, loaner during repair time, regular system maintenance plan, express customer support or even assistance via video call.
- Accessories and lenses : The OM-D E-M1 Mark II is compatible with Olympus’ range of professional- grade Micro Four Thirds lenses and accessories, including tailor-made camera bags and a housing for shooting down to 60 metres underwater.
Olympus E-M1 Mark II Digital Camera Body:
- Generates high-class still image quality with 20 Megapixels
- In-body, on-sensor 5-axis IS system for blur-free hand-held super-telephoto shooting or long exposures
- 4K/C4K hand-held, blue-free movie recording with 5-axis IS
- Class-best new high-speed AF: 121-point All Cross-type focus points with on sensor phase detection. 18 fps with C-AF, 60 fps with S-AF
- Pro Capture Mode for instant shutter response
- Splash proof, freeze proof, dust proof.
- 2 SD card slots, one compatible with UHS-II, USB 3.0 (Type C) for high-capacity data transfer.
- 4K, C4K, Full HD & HD video recording at frame rates incl.: 24p, 25, 30p, 50p, 60p, Video bit rates incl.: 237 & 102 Mbps; Normal, Fine, Super-fine & All-intra
- Detailed battery status menu with %-display
- High-speed battery charging in max. 2 hours
- Powerful new TruePic VIII image processor, Live MOS sensor.
- High-speed, smooth EVF